Practice with... GRADIENT TOOL and LETTER MANIPULATION
1. Open a blank print document in Illustrator.
2. Type in the word "GRAPHICS".
3. Change your font, make it a large enough size to fit most of the page, and you may also choose to change the color if you would like.
4. Add a gradient by selecting the text with the BLACK ARROW > go to OBJECT > EXPAND > and then add your gradient.
5. Change the angle of your gradient using the GRADIENT TOOL.
6. You can ungroup your text by selecting the text, going to OBJECT > UNGROUP or simply right clicking the text and selecting UNGROUP.
7. Using the WHITE SELECT ARROW, manipulate the font you chose into something brand new.
8. Be sure to add your name and class period at the top, and you can print TUESDAY to give it to Mrs. Merk.
CREATING A GRADIENT MESH
1. Type in your text, there will be no stroke color, but you can make a copy of your text to later layer/frame the finished product. Expand your text. (Select the Text > OBJECT > EXPAND)
2. Choose the Mesh Tool from your tool box to the left side of your screen.
3. Within an object, in this case your text is an object, you can click as many Mesh Points as you would like.
4. Using the white arrow, Direct Select Tool, select a specific point.
5. Choose a color from your Control at the top, Swatches, or Color Pallette. The area around the selected Mesh Point should change.
6. Continue adding as many gradients to as many points as you would like. You can go back to the Mesh Tool to add more points at any time. Use the handles to adjust the gradient, and you can move points to cover more area. Here is an example of every point colored...
Here is an example of a more simplified letter, choosing particular points.